CEO Quarterly Magazine
Lead Public Sector Specialist
PHD and 12 years of experience or
Degree and 15 years experience.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff
member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain
his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be
offered a 3 year renewable term appointment.
The Poverty Reduction and Economic Management Unit (ECSPE) in the
Europe and Central Asia Region (ECA) handles the Region’s work on
economic policy, governance and public sector management, poverty,
and gender. It is composed of approximately 120 staff of which about
40 are located in country offices. ECSPE carries out a large and
diverse work program of lending and analytic work for the Region.
There are three macroeconomic groups and two thematic groups on
public sector management and poverty and gender.
The ECA Public Sector group (ECSPE PSIR) supports the Bank's work on
governance and public sector reform in the region, including public
finance policy and management, administrative and civil service
reform, decentralization, justice sector reform, and anticorruption.
ECA Mission, Principles and Values
To meet demands in a rapidly changing Region, the World Bank
partners with governments and other stakeholders to:
* promote growth and create jobs;
* encourage social inclusion and fight poverty;
* foster good governance; and
* address global needs.
The ECA Region offers customized knowledge and innovative financial
products to address these challenges in a timely manner.
Our Guiding Principles:
* Client centered
* Working in partnership
* Accountable for quality results
* Dedicated to financial integrity and cost-effectiveness
* Inspired and innovative
Our Core Values:
* Personal honesty, integrity, commitment
* Working together in teams -- with openness and trust
* Empowering others and respecting differences
* Encouraging risk-taking and responsibility
* Enjoying our work and our families
• Provide leadership, advice, and assistance on issues related to
public financial management in the ECA region, helping to develop
and disseminate effective approaches for addressing public financial
management challenges, including providing leadership and direction
for the recently formed ECA Public Finance Community of Practice.
• Advise country teams on how to address public financial management
issues in country assistance strategies, operations, analytic work
and advisory services to client countries, helping them to match the
strategy, reforms, and types of operations to the risks and
challenges that public financial management poses for growth and
poverty reduction in the country.
• Enhance the Bank’s reputation for excellence and topical global
knowledge concerning developments in public financial management,
particularly drawing from experiences in OECD and middle income
• Provide guidance through peer reviews of Public Expenditure
Reviews, PEFA Assessments, Country Assistance Strategies (CASs), key
operations, and other major analytic products.
• Develop and lead lending and analytic projects, and “Fee for
Service” activities, resulting in improved public expenditure
management – at the national and subnational levels.
• Identify opportunities for new lending and “Fee for Service”, and
negotiate these with government counterparts and relevant country
teams to ensure a growing pipeline of activities.
• Undertake analytic and advisory work, and provide hands-on
technical assistance, in relation to:
o Budget process reforms including the development of Medium Term
Expenditure Frameworks, Performance Based Budgeting arrangements and
mechanisms for program/policy evaluation;
o Accounting and financial management reforms including the
development of Integrated Financial Management Systems, movements
towards a Treasury Single Account, and integration of charts of
accounts and budget classification;
o Reforms to the legal framework for public expenditures and to
inter-governmental fiscal relationships.
• Assist other staff working on these themes through formal and
informal mentoring and dissemination of good practice.
Partnering with Other Networks inside and outside the Bank:
• Work with other Networks to help coordinate Bank lending and
analytic work on public financial management, including
capacity-building, sequencing of reforms, assessing country public
financial management performance, coordinating with other
development partners to support sustained reforms, provide joint
training to Bank staff, and use of country public financial
management systems in donor operations, including Financial
Management, Procurement, and sectors such as Transport, Health and
the applications of public finance and public sector reforms in
• Help build collaborative relations with key groups outside the
Bank with common interest in public financial management, including
the European Commission, OECD Public Sector governance Group,
International Monetary Fund Fiscal Affairs Department, among others.
PHD and a minimum of 12 years of relevant experience or Masters
Degree and 15 years of relevant experience.
• Broad background of knowledge and experience in budget reform and
public financial management.
• Experience on the ground in developing and/or transition
countries, working successfully with constituencies in both the
public and private sectors to effect change.
• Direct experience in strengthening the performance orientation of
budgetary institutions and practices, including mechanisms for
• Direct experience in the public sector public financial management
• Direct experience in some or all of the following additional
• performance budgeting and management
• development of Integrated Financial Management Systems;
o introduction of a Treasury Single Account;
o integration of charts of accounts and budget classification;
o reforms to the legal framework for public expenditures; and
o reforms in inter-governmental fiscal relationships.
O public capital investment management, budgeting
• Track record of innovation, leadership, and integrity in managing
operational programs and projects.
• Track record of creating demand for analytic and other products
• Ability to listen and integrate ideas from varied sources, create
partnerships, and communicate to diverse constituencies inside and
outside the Bank. Ability to work in teams and across organizational
boundaries, respecting the views of others
• Ability to deliver high-quality policy and analytic products,
especially analysis of the political and institutional drivers of
change and the distinction between formal changes and informal
working practices, within tight deadlines.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
The World Bank Group is committed to achieving diversity in terms of
gender, nationality, culture and educational background. Individuals
with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications
will be treated in the strictest confidence.
To Apply :
Author of K-concept
Las Vegas, NV, USA
Free Trial Membership
Print & Online Editions
to CEO Q Magazine